In the News
On this section you will find news releases and other resources.
Tucson Baroque Festival postponed due to spike in COVID cases
January 13, 2022: Online article at Tucson.com by Cathalena Burch
Dominic Giardino, AEM Executive Director, featured in CD review
October 5, 2021: CD Review ~ Beguiling Band Music Performed on Original Instruments
Tucson’s Arizona Early Music hires first paid employee in 40-year history
August 7, 2021: Online article at Tucson.com by Cathalena Burch for the AZ Daily Star newspaper, about the hiring of Dominic Giardino as Executive Director.
July 26, 2021: Dominic Giardino appointed Executive Director of Arizona Early Music.
March 19, 2021: Article by Cathalena Burch for the AZ Daily Star newspaper, also appearing online at Tucson.com, about the streaming concert by Alkemie.
Board Members Favorite Early Music Picks
We asked several board members what their favorite pieces of early music were and published them in our newsletter. Here is what they chose and the newsletters that link to the performances. Enjoy!
John Anderson’s Picks (read the newsletter article, hear the music)
- Folia with Baroque Violin, Viola da Gamba, and Harpsichord performed by Arcangelo Corelli, Alessandro Scarlatti, and Marin Marais
- VOCES8 performs “Ne Irascaris Domine” & “Civitas Sancti Tui” by William Byrd
- “Sound the Trumpet” from “Ode for the Queen Mary’s Birthday” by Henry Purcell
- “Miserere mei, Deus” by Gregorio Allegri
- “Canzona a 6 in d” (modern premiere) by Giovanni Valentini
- Cantata “Wir danken dir, Gott, wir danken dir”, BWV 29 by J. S. Bach
Laurie Camm’s Picks (read the newsletter and hear the music)
- Vox Luminis: Nymphe des Bois by Josquin des Prez
- Jordi Savall: Con qué la lavaré; Folias de Espagne; The Routes of Slavery
- “La Rêveuse: Les folies d’Espagne de Marin Marais”
- Lorraine Hunt Lieberson: “As With Rosy Steps the Morn” (Theodora) by G. F. Handel
- Green Mountain Project: Monteverdi Vespers of 1610 by Monteverdi
Dorothy Fitch’s Picks (read the newsletter and hear the music)
- Maurice Steger plays “Goldfinch” Concerto by Vivaldi
- The Kuijken Trio plays Musical Offering by J. S. Bach
- Ralph Kirkpatrick plays Domenico Scarlatti
- A Fascinating Collection of Baroque Pipe Organs in Mexico (a David Yetman story on PBS)
- Brandenburg Concerto #5 by J. S. Bach with Frans Brüggen, Daniel Stepner, and John Gibbons
Scott Mason’s Picks (read the newsletter and hear the music)
- Messe de minuit H.9 by Marc-Antoine Charpentier
- “An Evening Hymn” by Henry Purcell for Haymarket Opera Company
- The Orlando Gibbons Project: “In Chains of Gold, Volume 2”
- Easter Oratorio by J. S. Bach
- “Now, O Now” for lute and voice by John Dowland
- BWV 992 – “Capriccio sopra la lontananza del suo fratello dilettissimo” by J. S. Bach
- Monteverdi – L’incoronazione di Poppea (with Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra) | Act 3
- Hesperus presents “The Hunchback of Notre Dame”